Saturday 2 April 2011

Keep your eyes on the prize...

A while back, my church ran a monthly Sunday evening event called 'More...?'. It was held in the Cellar Bar at the Farnham Maltings and took place over a period of about three years. As well as a regular house band from the church in which I was a privileged participant, we also had guest bands and solo artists – it was a fun time. The evening would consist of a couple of sets and a short talk or testimony in the middle. The aim was to create a space for Christians to bring non-Christians to come and find out more about Jesus while enjoying a relaxing, unimposing, bar/cafĂ©-style evening.

One of the original postcards I designed... 

On the music side, we had the opportunity to try songs away from the standard worship fare on a Sunday morning, songs such as "O Mary Don't You Weep" and this fantastic track "Keep Your Eyes on the Prize", performed below by the legendary Bruce Springsteen (Mavis Staples also does a great version of the latter)... (I've pasted the lyrics below):



LYRICS:

"Paul and Silas bound in jail, had no money for to go their bail
Keep your eyes on the prize and hold on

Paul and Silas thought they was lost, dungeon shook and the chains come off
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Freedom's name is mighty sweet and soon we're gonna meet
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

I got my hand on the gospel plow, won't take nothing for my journey now
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Hold on, hold on
Keep your eyes on the prize
Hold on

Only chain that a man can stand, is that chain o'hand on hand
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

I gonna board that big Greyhound, carry the love from town to town
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Hold on, hold on
Keep your eyes on the prize
Hold on

The only thing I did was wrong was staying' in the wilderness too long
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on
The only thing I did was right was the day we started to fight
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Hold on, hold on
Keep your eyes on the prize
Hold on...

Ain't been to heaven but I been told, streets up there are paved with gold."

~

So why this song? Why this post? Well, the song has been in my head for a few days now so I decided to give it some real thought. 

In Philippians 3:12-14, Paul writes,
"...Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." [Emphasis, mine]
Life can throw all sorts of things our way – good and bad. For some reason it is often the bad that stays with us in our memories – the hurt, the fear, the rejection, the shame, the anger and the resolve not to go there again. All this merely works to colour our future experiences and decisions, unless we can give them over to God for healing and restoration. We also need to seek His forgiveness for trying to do things our way. We think we're taking ownership of the hurt and protecting ourselves, but really we just end up putting pressure the wound so that it never has the chance to fully heal. We need to know when to let go.

This bad stuff can also paralyse us into not moving forward – and it takes courage to overcome. We really do need Christ first and foremost. I'm reminded of a book I read years ago, that I come back to often – John Ortberg's "If you want to walk on water, you've got to get out of the boat." Says what it does on the tin. I highly recommend it to anyone who needs input into moving away from the old into the new.
"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." (Hebrews 11:1)
John Wimber said, "Faith is spelled R.I.S.K." and "If you never do it, you never get to see it." What's the worst that can happen by taking that step forward? By doing nothing and remaining in the same place, we become bored and stagnant and are robbed of God's amazing plans for us! Trust in inevitably based on our experiences but faith is a gift from God and He grows it in us as we experience His goodness and faithfulness.
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”" (Joshua 1:9)
There's also plenty of good stuff in life too and we need to be thankful for our lives because they are gifts to us. They are not for our own sake - but for the sake of loving and reaching the lost for God's Kingdom. As such we are Christ's ambassadors and have a responsibility towards looking after ourselves so we can look after others. We need to keep developing our understanding of what it means *now* to live in the Kingdom of God. Our responsibility to ourselves can really be summed up by needing to be be prepared. For a Christian, this means an ongoing and deepening relationship with God, the understanding and application of His Word, and staying as fit as we are able – spiritually, physically, emotionally, mentally etc. Ephesians 6 talks about being prepared by putting on the full armour of God so that we can stand firm (that's another topic in itself which I'll look at another time!) Philippians 4 says:
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." [Emphasis, mine]
In order to be a serious contender in any kind of race, we need to train. This involves action on our part. Now I am not a runner. At school, I was never the fastest. I'd sometimes start off fast and even lead for a while, but after a quick burst of energy I'd suddenly flag considerably and end up in the bottom half! If I paced myself, I would do much better – and that conserve of energy would do me well for the last couple of laps. I generally found school fitness stuff rather demoralising as I have always been prone to comparing myself to others and coming off worse! I ended up arranging things so that my music lessons happened during my games lessons – result! I didn't get back into enjoying fitness until I went to university! But even with the music, I still had to train...to improve, to go the distance, and get passes in my exams. By training ourselves in whatever way we need, we are not only fitter and have more energy, but we bounce back from the bad stuff more easily...and develop the stamina to go even further. But training is an act of will, often a sacrifice and always a discipline – yet it yields great results. As the following spiritual law testifies, we reap what we sow.

Three times now I've taken part in one of the local 'Race for Life' events to raise money for Cancer Research. We all have the same goal – to get to the finishing post and raise our respective funds that go towards investigating what is a very serious disease. What I like most about it is that you can complete the course however you like – you can run, walk, jog or a mixture - whatever your preferred pace...you can be young or old, thin or fat, tall or short...in a costume or in jeans, on your own, or with friends and family. The only prerequisite is that you must be female! In spite of the serious theme, the event is about having fun and doing something good. Some training certainly helped. When I first did it with colleagues a while ago, I'd go walking/jogging in my lunch hour or after work. This was new to me – hard work – but it paid off! Coming up to the finishing line was the best bit. I'd been walking for a while but as I got there I started jogging again – I wanted to finish 'properly'. Being cheered on by spectators, the organisers and those who'd already completed the race had a tremendous effect on my tired limbs and lagging spirit – my energy was revived, my mood, jubilant – I'd done it!

I see a parallel with our Christian journey. The only prerequisite is that we know Jesus Christ as our Saviour. Even if we don't, it may be that we're going in the right direction despite ourselves (praise God for that!) The 'fitter' we are, the better we are at handling the ups and downs of life, but it doesn't mean we won't experience and feel those ups and downs and get a little weary and sore from them at times. The process of living in relationship with God is not 'guaranteed' – every step of obedience takes the risk that God will not do what we want Him to do. This is how He set it up! That's why it's important to study the Word of God and regularly meet with other Christians. By focusing on Jesus and encouraging one another, we find the strength to keep pressing on.

There are certainly a couple of key (to me) areas in my life at the moment that need some discipline on my part. I've either not really given them the time yet, or I've let them go. Both are applicable. I can pray to God all I like, but if I'm not willing to put the effort in or take that first step, what's the alternative? Settling with the mediocre, giving up? I don't want that. Life is about freewill – I have a choice...

I've noticed a sequence ...that often God calls (or whispers, usually!), then we have to step out, but then He intervenes with His purpose/blessing...and it's exciting!
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:11-13)
Some things  are certain – the sin and failure of our past is dealt with, our present is wrapped up in the love and blessing of the Father, our future with Him is a sure promise...so, let's keep our eyes on the prize, and hold on!

1 comment: