Sunday 24 April 2011

EASTER > WASTER > MASTER

Hello... and a very happy and blessed Easter to you!

It has been a busy time since I last posted - too busy, in fact. I hope to remedy that with this post. So grab a cuppa and get comfy!

Let me start by giving the traditional Paschal Greeting...

"Christ is risen!" "He is risen indeed!""Alleluia!"

Today is Easter Day. I am sitting in the garden with my laptop wired to the house via extension lead. It is a beautiful Spring day – warm and sunny – and as I type I'm listening to the ambient sounds of birds singing and a gentle welcome breeze rustling the leaves of nearby shrubs. This seems far removed from what Jesus experienced in His last few days, amid the dusty heat and political and social turmoil of the day.

An exciting new season of Doctor Who started last night. I've watched it for as far back as I can remember and spent many a time hiding behind a cushion (or two)! However this time I found myself wondering what it would be like to get into the Tardis and travel back to this time, to step out into the dry heat, noise and smells of a busy place on the verge of making history. What would it have been like to be one of the many female followers of Jesus and to have experienced the confusion and wonder of events as they unfolded?

What would it be like to travel to Jerusalem at the time of Jesus' death and resurrection?

Just before Easter I finished reading Frank Morison's book 'Who Moved the Stone?' The author set out to disprove Christ's last few days from a scientific standpoint, only to experience a paradigm shift in his faith and thinking as his research got underway. It's not the easiest book to read in terms of style of language, but he gets the message across; what happened to Christ was part of a bigger plan and mystery, but it happened nonetheless. It cannot be disproved though many would try to deceive us into thinking otherwise)!

Spring is in the air, and I get the feeling change is in the air. Did Jesus disciples and followers have a similar feeling, caught up in events as they were? Spring is a wonderful, positive season and echoes an amazing spiritual truth - from the death that is winter, new life stirs and blossoms in abundance.

In John 12:24 Jesus sums this up perfectly as He predicts His death:
"Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." 
Jesus had to die, so that we might have new spiritual – and ultimately, physical – life.

The Vineyard church I currently belong to is also experiencing a time of transition. Today's vibrant Easter service marked our final time together before we multiply into two services - to create more space for Jesus. I don't think I've ever seen so many people as I did this morning!

Full house!

In terms of attendance we have been full to bursting for a while, and we are about to 'pop', hopefully sowing more seeds as a result. We celebrate our 20th anniversary this year - all glory goes to God! Many local churches have already expanded over recent years. If anyone reading this is in any doubt whether people still go to church – they do, or whether it's growing – it is! Jesus is alive today and working among us to reach the hurt, lost and broken in our communities and beyond.

Last week we held a 24/7 week of prayer. This comprised hourly sessions that folk could sign up to over the seven days…you could stay as long as you wanted. Individuals went and groups went…but it was a rich experience for all. I'm a busy person - the kind whose mind is always on the go with some idea or consideration. It was very hard for me to initially tear myself away from my work schedule. In a sense it felt like praying like this was a 'waste' of time I could be spending working on a deadline. Part of me was a little bit nervous - what would be expected and would it be boring  (add a smidgen of guilt here)! It was nothing like I anticipated. The hall had been divided into different zones (e.g., 'international', 'church', 'small groups' and a 'soaking' space in the form of a tent with white lights, for contemplation). Lots of thought had gone into it - lots of creative outlets, paints, paper, pens, pencils, wooden blocks Bibles, a tv, a CD player…

Different zones to inspire prayer

The focus of the week was from Matthew 5:14-16:
"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
Someone had created a beautiful lantern using coloured tissue paper. After praying, you were obliged to make a hole in the paper with a pencil - each one making the light shine out even brighter…a wonderful idea!

"Let your light shine!"

I loved the time I spent there - it flew by so quickly - I could have spent another week there! The presence of God was very tangible, and there was such a peace and sense of spiritual beauty in the place. I particularly loved one session worshipping with two others - it was quality time. One thing God showed me was that I was getting too busy for Him. I've been 'fitting Him in' around my life, rather than seeking the Source of that life so I might live better! In brief, I had started doing things more and more in my own strength, not in His…it's a subtle thing…and I thank God for His Spirit reminding me and convicting me…but without the heavy burden of guilt that the enemy likes to trowel onto us. God promises that when we repent, He forgives our sins.
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us." (1 John 1:8-10)
That is why Jesus died on the cross. He didn't just 'swoon' into oblivion like they do in some of those fab old black and white films.

"Woe is me"
Can we ever imagine what Christ went through? I don't think so.

He was anxious, exhausted, troubled, sorrowful, in pain, tortured, messy, bleeding, sweating, parched, mocked, rejected, beaten, bruised...and murdered…yet He went through it all because His dying on our place - a perfect sacrifice - was the only way God could restore our (His Creation) relationship to Him. That's what it's about. It's not about 'religious' practices, laws and legalities. It's about love, sacrifice, restoration, relationship…and above all, LOVE. When Jesus died and God resurrected Him (fully restored His human body - He could eat as well as pass through walls)…He claimed victory over death, satan and all evil. That victory is for all who believe and repent. One day, Jesus is coming back, and when He does, we will likewise have new bodies as well as a new name…and we reign with Christ on a new earth. While I'm trying to get the most out of this life, I can't wait for the next. Read the wonderful first few verses of John's writings in Revelation 21 - the language is poetic but the message is clear:
"Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
At one part in the service today, seven people held up letters spelling EASTER. With one switch, the first E turned to become a 'W' (WASTER), and the again for an 'M' (MASTER). The meaning? Easter is a celebration of when the Waster found out who the Master truly is!

In what, or whom, do you place your trust?

EASTER > WASTER > MASTER!

Please note that I have written an entire Easter blog without once mentioning either bunnies or chocolate…until now :o)

M

PS There are three hymns/songs that have had meaning for me over the past week. One is "The Servant King", one is "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" (neither of which we've sung at church for a while) and "Amazing Grace" (of late we've sung Chris Tomlin's updated version). I've highlighted in bold the verses which have meant the most.

The Servant King | Graham Kendrick

From heav’n You came, helpless Babe,
Entered our world, Your glory veiled;
Not to be served but to serve,
And give Your life that we might live.

Chorus:
This is our God, the Servant King,
He calls us now to follow Him,
To bring our lives as a daily offering
Of worship to the Servant King.

There in the garden of tears,
My heavy load He chose to bear;
His heart with sorrow was torn,
‘Yet not my will but Yours,’ He said.


Come see His hands and His feet,
The scars that speak of sacrifice;
Hands that flung stars into space
To cruel nails surrendered.

So let us learn how to serve,
And in our lives enthrone Him;
Each other’s needs to prefer,
For it is Christ we’re serving.


When I Survey the Wondrous Cross | Isaac Watts

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.


Amazing Grace | John Newton

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to write Mel, once again a faith building read and enjoyable time-out imbibing Gods truth.

    ReplyDelete